Re: New Growth?

Mike Groothuis wrote:

> I have a strange situation. About 3 weeks ago, my H. 'Great
> Expectations' began to lose it first set of leaves. They began to turn
> brown and wither away no matter the amount or lack of water or
> fertilizer. At the same time there was a new eye emerging with new
> foliage. Now, ALL of the first leaves are gone and this new eye has
> grown to be bigger than the original plant with more than 11 new leaves.
> Is this normal for this hosta? I have never seen this before. By the
> way, the old growth did flower and set seed.
>
> Mike Groothuis
> Pixlist member
> Niles, MI
> zone 5b

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

It has been a strange year for many of my plants too, but none more than the
hosta's. Re-blooming, new foliage growth, divisions growing above the ground
with a single root holding it to the earth. Looking for all the world, like
a balloon being held by a  singe tow rope! I haven't quite figured out what
to do with that one. Do I dig a hole and bury it up to the top of the crown,
or do I just turn my back on the poor thing and hope it manages to pull its
self down under ground for the winter. Any suggestions?

Carrie Hampton
Pixlist member
Conesville Ohio
zone 5-6