Re: Wayside Gardens

At 09:45 PM 9/18/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I received a catalog from Wayside today.

Hi; I have purchased from Wayside many times.  Often they will send a very
small plant, but if there are any problems - even if it's obviously the
customer's error - you will get a refund, a new plant, or credit with no
quibbling.  Also, any questions are met (quickly) with a letter from one of
their horticulturalists, or for even faster service you can call and talk
to a qualified person.

Many nurseries sell large plants, but trying to get them to address a
problem is futile.  I have dealt with a few well-known specialty nurseries
who have sent the wrong plants, charged me for plants they forgot to pack
(then wanted to charge $12.00 shipping when they finally mailed!), and sent
me plants with diseases - fortunately, the diseases weren't hardy up here,
but the plants died before winter, anyway.  Letters and phone calls met
with no response, ever; a exceedingly rude e-mail from a staff person; and
a denial that the rust that doesn't live up north came from their southern
nursery.  These problems you do not have with Wayside.

At Plant Delights, I pay more per plant because the plants are large and
there are some you can't buy elsewhere.  At Wade and Gatton's, their is an
excellent selection of certain genera.  We-Du is THE source for
wildflowers, and inexpensive.  At Wayside, I pay for the great customer
service and the safety of knowing I will be refunded if something goes wrong.

Sheila Smith
Niles, MI  USA, Z 5/6