articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Ash borers targeting other ash family members

Record-setting 2096-lb pumpkin grown in Switzerland

16 year-old girls increase crop production 74%

First open-source seeds released!

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

Foliar Nematode Treatment(s)

Foliar Nematodes.......a continuing saga.

When I find Foliar Nematodes in a hosta I either put the plant in a plastic
bag and send it to the land fill...... or.....I plant it in my nematode
garden.

My nematode garden is 250 feet from any of my hosta beds. In this garden I
have approx... 40 hostas either infected visibly by foliar nematodes or
plants that were growing next to visibly infected plants but not showing any
visible symptoms. I also have hostas here that were given to me by friends
for treatment.

I have a 3 foot fence made from landscape fabric surrounding this bed to
contain any dried hosta leaves that may blow around in the wind. (Dormant
foliar nematodes survive in dead leaves). I have also killed the grass in a
3 foot band around this bed with Roundup.

TREATMENT:

I am using Vydate L, a DuPont nematicide  that contains 24% Oxamyl as a
foliar treatment and also as a root drench. I have sprayed twice this
summer. I have encountered no problems with leaf phytotoxicity. My mixing
rate is 2 pints of Vydate L per 100 gallons of water.

Next year I plan on 4 or 5 treatments spaced 10 days to two weeks apart in
spring after leaf unfurl. The life cycle of Aphelenchoides fragariae is
completed in 10 to 13 days and I hope to kill all of the adults before they
have a chance to lay eggs and complete their life cycle. This may have to be
done over a several year period.

I also have 50 pounds of Nemacur which I plan on trying also. Both Vydate L
and Nemacur are restricted use nematicides and can be very dangerous. I wear
the correct protective equipment (gas mask, etc.) and am careful about
re-entry times.

The hostas I am experimenting with will stay in this nematode bed for at
least 4 or 5 years and may never be moved back into the main garden. I
suggest that any hosta showing nematode damage be isolated immediately from
your main hosta garden.

I suggest that anyone growing hostas over the winter indoors to be very
careful about spreading foliar nematodes. I grow T.C. liners over the winter
and WILL not be bringing any plants in from the main garden for fear of
exposing hundreds of clean liners to possible foliar nematode infected
plants. Nematodes move in water and I fear may be spread easily in any type
of common container used to catch irrigation water.

Seeing how foliar nematodes move from plant to plant outdoors has caused me
to re-plan my garden. I now plant hostas so the leaves never touch their
neighboring plants. I now try for approx. 2 feet of leaf clearance.

Feedback is welcome. This subject is not going to go away on its own.

Anyone else out there have any confessions to make?

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7