Re: Dividing hostas

At 09:38 AM 8/31/99 -0400, Dianne Pederson wrote:
>Please repost the page on dividing hostas.  I wiped the email out with
>that information.

..hey Di'Luv, how ya been keeping?  Tell me what the title/date that was
re: dividing hostas e'mail, and I'll see if it's still here?

It's quite simple, really:  1...dig plant outta ground 2...wash dirt off
roots 3...cut straight down between each shoot, and be careful you don't
cut yourself! 4...stick the root-pieces back in the ground. 5...wait for
spring to see what you have?

>By the way, I was thinking of sending in my 99 dues to AHSA even this late
>in the year.  However,
>this constant bickering about politics has convinced me I don't want to
>belong to a society that
>behaves this way.  Too bad there isn't an Amateur Hosta Growers magazine
>like their is an Amateur's
>Digest for the cactus and succulent world.!

"constant bickering" you say?  Thanks for the "Title" love! ..I thought
that was a planned AHS educational 101? <vbg>

>Also, does anyone know if the shade garden society has started yet and how
>I contact someone about
>joining this?

YUp ...shade gardening soc'ite'ity started a couple of years ago, remember?
...send SS yer monies! <just kidding> Email to Clyde Crockett, cuz SGS'ball
is in his court to serve (someday?).  And Di? (have a question fer ya?)

>Please, can someone explain to me (and perhaps others?) why the issue of
>registered versus
>unregistered hostas is so important anyway?  Why can't we just enjoy
>growing whatever hosta catches
>our fancy?  Granted, it's nice to have an "official" name, but unless you
>are growing species, all
>are cultivars anyway and seem to revert to other cultivars rather easily!

That one is way over my head Di'love! ...honestly dunno what AHS motives
may be?  It might be easier to answer Ogden Nash's quote "God in his wisdom
created the fly! ...but he forgot to tell us why?"

>I don't understand why all plant societies seem so concerned about
>registering cultivars????  New
>Please don't be condescending in your explanation of this.  I am sincerely
>curious as to why it's
>such a big deal with the hosta, daylily, streptocarpus, african violets,
>etc. etc. people?  There
>obviously is something I am missing and would like to know about the
>reasoning behind this.

How about this rationale Dianne?   There are probably many 1000's of hosta
types sold in Japan, and other places around the World, not registered
at/with AHS Headquarters? ...and at a nickel a piece, for registration fee,
this adds up, U-know? <= I dunno! (am just being facetiously funny) ...hope
ya laughed? :-B))

Bill Nash, CA z4 to Diana Pederson, Lansing, Michigan, United States, USDA
Zone 5, Editor:  http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/enabling_garden