Re: John's dog /My dog Jack

Talking about dogs.......

Let me tell you about my dog Jack. Jumpin Jack Flash is his full name. A
Jack Russell Terrier who is sleeping at my feet at the moment. Jack was
bred to flush critters out into the open. He has a field day with ground
hogs. He is small enough to go into their tunnels and I can hear him
barking several feet underground. Jack's back is only 10 high.

Jack loves to dig for moles and voles and will dig anywhere on command.
He will dig when not on command also. Jack is a small dog with a lot of
attitude. He loves to growl and fight but is gentle with his teeth. He
gets along with our six outdoor cats just fine. In fact, they follow him
around the yard watching where he digs. Jack won't disturb large hostas,
he digs around them. T.C. liners and small plants are a different story.
I sometimes have to replant.

Jack will go back to active sites on a regular basis. Once he digs a
mole run, his digging on his second hunt is much easier. He will dig and
smell, then dig and smell 15 feet further down the mole run. A very
determined predator. If Jack were an outdoor dog I bet he could control
critters on an acre or more.

Twelve pounds of critter gittin' dog who runs around the garden under
the canopy of large hostas.

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7