Re: Communicating

Marvin Lehr wrote:

> Hi robins, the recent postings debating what this or that person supposedly
> said helped me recall some teachings that I received when still employed as a
> scientist.  Of the many professional courses that were taught on-site, one
> had to do with communicating with another person(s).  One teaching I'll never
> forget stated "it doesn't matter what you think you said, what matters is
> what the other person(s) thinks you said."  Some people have difficulty
> understanding the difference.
> Marvin Lehr (Bath, OH)

Marvin,
I think we all have difficulty understanding the differences at one time
or another.
I'll do you one better. I am a public school teacher in Michigan. In the
district I teach in we were told by a asst. supt. and a lawyer not to
compliment students on how they dress or look. If a teacher were to say
to a student that they were wearing a nice shirt/dress they might
interpret it as "He/she wants to go to bed with me". Reality(in terms of
a law suit) would be the perception not the intent. Strange world we
live in. Reality can be easily distorted speaking one on one, face to
face. Writing and interpreting e-mails on the net can only magnify any
given situation.
As always, I don't think that we need the secret hosta police to
interpret what is said. The absence of discussion concerning  the secret
hosta police and other issues by the powers that be of the AHS have only
fueled the flames of our current situation. We can delete, quit or pick
a side. This issue will not go away until the leadership of the AHS
opens up and gets involved. One "interpretation" may be that perhaps the
leadership is enjoying all of this "bickering". Then again it is even
more difficult to understand another person point of view if they don't
speak.
Regards,
Stuart
Clawson, Mich