Re: Nematodes

In a message dated 09/04/1999 6:27:45 AM Central Daylight Time,
Marhahn@aol.com writes:

<< hosta-open@mallorn.com >>

I am forwarding an aswer to an E-Mail I sent to Clarence Falstad about foliar
nematodes.  He mentions controlling root knot nematodes and I hope he doesn't
mind my forwarding this to you.
Bev Stegeman

> Thanks for your help in getting my plant diagnosed.  I did send it to Dr.
> Jagdale, and he immediately called the next day confirming foliar
nematodes.
> He did not know whether Pulmonaria are also subject to these, and I was
> wondering whether you know if they are.  This Hosta was surrounded by 3
> Pulmonaria which look OK, but I don't want to take any chances.  Any other
> precautions I should take, like removing some of the soil in the area?

I would suggest not growing any hostas in the area for a few years to make
sure.  I would probably try to grow some mums to see if they get the
nematodes.  Clean up all the plant material, put it in a black plastic
garbage bag in the driveway in the sun for a few days to allow it to cook.
Then put the whole bag in the garbage.  Do not compost your hosta leaves!  I
understand that at least one of the nematodes will grow and multiply in the
molds in compost.

I have not heard pulmonarias are on the host list for Aphlenchoides.
Perhaps you could ask over the robin to see if anyone has seen symptoms on
pulmonarias.  If they do not get nematodes Dr. Grewal may be interested in
knowing as he may be able to find a chemical in the leaves of pulmonaria
that control or kill nematodes.

There are some reports coming out that rudbeckia plant parts are lethal to
some nematodes.  So far I do not know if they have been tested on
Aphlenchoides, but they have shown very good control of root knot nematodes.
You might try grinding up some rudbeckia leaves/roots/ and flowers and
mixing them in the soil in that area with the infestation.  I know I would
try it if I saw nematodes in my garden,

C.H. Falstad