Re: Proxy Voting

In a message dated 9/4/1999 2:44:23 PM Central Daylight Time,
sunkat@excite.com writes:

<< Can anyone explain why we can't vote by proxy? >>

Hi All,

I think I have the answer==No one can explain it, because the issue has only
recently come up.

The tradition has been that every important decision that is made in the AHS
is controlled by the Board. The members were simply a rubber stamp.This
pertains particularly to the election of the officers.
Actually, up to this point, no one has really cared much about what the Board
has done.Reason=it did not affect the members.

However, with the advent of outrageous, indeed, reckless spending;
concentrating power in a few;  the IAC and Preferred Growers Program; the
insouciance of the president; the creation of a members-only Robin with a
tyrannical governing body---members HAVE, en masse,  become interested and
want to have a voice in the decisions that are being made.

I could be wrong, but I forsee proxy voting will be permitted in the near
future.I cannot imagine that the Board would be opposed to such.

I should not be misunderstood to suggest that proxy voting should be allowed
to interfere with orderly procedures.(Such as requiring that all members not
in attendance be advised of a particular motion on the floor before a vote is
secured. E.G. , the somewhat archaic motion to accept the minutes of a Board
Meeting without their being read.)

I do think the local and regional societies could make things easier, if
before a convention, the members, who are not attending an impending
convention, give their proxies to an attending member.
Also, the AHS should, well in advance of its annual meeting , inform all
members of matters to be voted on.

From what I have seen and heard, I gather that there is almost a unaimous
view that proxy voting should generally be permitted. I'd like to hear any
opposing view or views.

Clyde Crockett