Fwd: Proxy Voting

Here is indeed a view that opposes proxies and I am sure she would oppose any
kind of mail ballots, etc.
I find the forwarded message very strange coming from a self-styled ultra
liberal. I thought they were all for a democratic process rather than that
"old boy", "back, smoked-filled room" sort of thing.

Clyde Crockett

In a message dated 9/4/99 10:57:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time, CCREDUX writes:

<< >I do think the local and regional societies could make things easier, if
 >before a convention, the members, who are not attending an impending
 >convention, give their proxies to an attending member.
 >Also, the AHS should, well in advance of its annual meeting , inform all
 >members of matters to be voted on.
 >
 >>From what I have seen and heard, I gather that there is almost a unaimous
 >view that proxy voting should generally be permitted. I'd like to hear any
 >opposing view or views. >>

Here we are again, Clyde.  No major organization uses an electoral process
for  finding new officers.  A nominating committee begs and pleads with
someone, anyone to take the job.  The slate is presented and a show of hands
does the job.  The secretary certifies the vote and the job is over in five
minutes.  I was the hem secretary for a while, regional, and I certified
anything that happened.  It is very seldom you find an individual who wants a
volunteer job that will take a year of their life.  Not impossible but not
common.

Betty and I as committee for UNYHS just replaced David Jennings with the best
person available in our group and we are so relieved, we are mega-relieved.
I hate that job.

AHS would be, I'd bet money on this, so hidebound that it would be unwillling
to take a chance on any member who did not have national involvement plus a
record with the organization.

Claire