Re: Fwd: Proxy Voting

Comments on the view expressed below:

First of all, it is NOT true that no major organization (I assume society
is meant here, not organization) uses the electoral process for finding new
officers. True, in most you don't usually find people stepping forward to
volunteer their services and then campaign for office, but you do find one
man/one vote systems. And that I think is what we are looking for.

Let me contrast two professional societies of which I am a member (and in
one, held office for several years).

The first is small and relatively specialized. Membership the last I heard
was around 300, with 200 or so "active members" who attend the biennial
meetings. Everyone pretty much knows everyone else, by reputation if not
personally. Officers are indeed inviegled into serving by a nominating
committee; usually, but not always, two candidates per office are
presented. The slate is published in the newletter before the meeting and
absentee ballots are accepted, though the bulk of votes are cast in person
at the meeting.

The other society is large, about 8000 members, and is a more generalized
society. We meet annualy, and officers serve for 1 year. Again, a lot of
people are known by reputation if not personally, but frequently names on
the ballot are total strangers. The society sends out ballots in the mail,
along with introductions and qualifications for each candidate. All voting
is done by mail. Even with a large membership, officers are still chosen by
one man/one vote.

I agree that proxy voting is not a good idea. But absentee ballots at the
very least should be allowed. And if the AHS is so hidebound that it will
only elect officers with national standing, than it will die from lack of
new ideas, and this whole problem will go away.

Gerry

At 12:05 AM 9/5/99 EDT, you wrote:
>Here is indeed a view that opposes proxies and I am sure she would oppose
any
>kind of mail ballots, etc.

Forwarded msg from ECPep: