Re: advice wanted -- color printers

Mike and I have a small newsletter that we publish for our local (Non AHS
registered) group. Because we are small we take our color pictures to PIP
Printing to have them done.

We have at home an Epson Stylus Color 400 (Very cheap about $129) which works
well for normal printing. At work I use a HP DeskJet 1120C which is
combination scanner, fax, copier, and printer. However, last I knew, price on
it was around the $850 to $900 dollar range.

I think much of it depends on whether or not you want to print glossy or flat
color pictures. We like the glossy and that is why we use a professional
printer for the pictures in our newsletter.

I will say that I really do like the quality and speed that you can print
with a HP. They are also very reliable and can use the refillable cartridges
rather than just HP. These cartridges are about 2/3 the cost of a brand new
one and can be refilled 3-4 times before they become to worn to refill.

Another suggestion is a Cannon. They have the advantage on some of their
models that you refill only the individual colors rather than a whole color
cartridge. When printing a lot of one color, this can be a real money saver.
(i.e., purple will use the blue and red but very little yellow).

Check out PC World magazine. They rate the Top 10 printers every month by
either color or monochrome. Of course some are very price but if you have the
intention of printing everything yourself, it can be a money saver in the
long run. I would suggest to a business quality rather than home-use type. It
will hold up much longer and any repair costs will not exceed the price of a
printer. (We repaired and older Epson at work with a new print head. It cost
$95 to fix and we could have bought a really nice new one for under $150.)

Good Luck.

Rhonda Deeds