Re: Aphrodite cuttting

>Earlier I said that Aphrodite might have problems with opening even
>with two scapes on the same plant due to a shortage/absence of
>pollen.  Actually the hormone produced in the anthers might be
>ccounteracted so to speak by the hormones produced by the roots.

I respect your knowledge of genetics because you certainly wouldn't be
a professor at a prestigious university if you didn't know something
about genetics.  However, your ability as a plant anatomist was most
wanting with your cotyledon theory in monocots and now this silliness
you posted about plant physiology clearly demonstrates that you should
stick within your field of genetics.  Ben, I do know something about
botany - this is some of the silliest writing I've seen from you.
What hormones do anthers produce?  Do you have any evidence?
Antherless plants open up their flowers just as easily as plants with

In an earlier message you stated that "Based on radiation experiments
Arabidopsis is estimated to have 28000 genes."  While a gene number
this high is certainly not out of sight, I'm wondering how they came
to this number using radiation experiements.  I'm not asking you to go
into excruciating detail, but I am interested in how radiation
experiments can be used to estimate the number of genes in a plant.

Also, Ben, I've been doing some reading on transposable elements, and
if you think about it, your view that certain sports in hostas are the
result of mitotic crossing over could actually be easily explained by
transposable elements.

Joe Halinar