Pledge (Was: Re: Great Post)

At 08:39 AM 9/9/99 -0400, you wrote:
 <snip>

>It is time to become serious. I suggest a head count of people who will
>pledge to go to the convention, attend the business meeting, show that
>we have 2/3 majority which is required to change By-Laws, take over from
>the Tyrants within the organization, clean house and bring sanity back
>into our hosta society. I know this is a simplistic idea. But by being
>logical, straightforward, honest, fair and open , we can bring about
>change for the better. It can't get any worse, can it?  We need
>information first, nothing more at this stage.Also any volunteers to
>keep score and gather information...
>
>How many think this is an idea worth investigating?
>
>"I pledge to go to the Convention and express my vote contra  current
>developments in the AHS".............Jim Hawes...
>
>Let's see a show of hands with a pledge.   That's one!!!!!
>
>Jim Hawes

Jim,
May I suggest a rewording of the pledge? How's this:

"I pledge to go to the Convention, listen to all discussions (pro and con)
relative to current policies of the AHS, and then vote in the best
interests of the AHS and its membership".

Although the image of a large number of us storming the AHS castle with
torches flaming is an attractive one, asking people to pledge to vote
against policies without open discussion before voting is exactly the kind
of behavior we are accusing the current powers of. I would still like to
hear from the AHS leadership defending the IAC, Preferred Grower's Program,
and required convention attendance for voting policy before voting them out.

Gerry