Re: Will the real...etc

Bill and others,

I have written today to Pres. Jim Wilkins asking him to clarify the
status of the AIC Program as described in the Journal 29.1. There have
been discussions at the Winter Scientific Meeting, at the Convention in
which "something"  was "tabled". I think that "discussions"  on it were
tabled, pending further study. I am not aware of the policy being
"shelved". If this were so, I (should say we)  would have heard about it
because I am making a study of the history of development of this
Policy, Program and the various elements of the Program which are
comparable to projects. There has been no report on progress as promised
by Jim Wilkins. It is time for him to clarify the ambiguous bits and
pieces of information  being put out as the latest news on the status of
the IAC. We still don't know. Yes, the latest is the establishment of a
task force with anyone and everyone participating to "proceed  with a
fair policy for the treatment of registered and unregistered hostas" I
don't understand this ambiguous double-talk.I read it to mean the policy
stands and now they are going to ask how it can be implemented. The
basic questions are  not being addressed...that is...What is the
rationale for the IAC Program. How will it meet objectives of the
Society?Numerous other questions also come to mind. Instead,
they(policy makers)  are assuming it is not necessary to even ask such
questions...that the policy now is "The Society is committed to register
those hostas that can be registered."...(from the 1999 Yearbook)  My
question is ...why is this a priority commitment? Who made the
committment? . I surely wasn't asked if I wanted to make such a
committment..This case for justification has not been made yet. Policy
should be based upon analysis and proof that something is worthwhile
doing because it is essential to achieving objectives of the
organization. The cart is before the horse.....it was decided what we ,
the Society,  is committed to in advance., now we figure out how to make
a policy that makes it work? Backwards in my view. It is called in
professional circles...a target of opportunity approach to policy
development...pluck a fruit from the tree because you see something
apparently worthwhile doing.. That is a very weak rationale. We can do
better than that.
Jim Hawes