Southern Blight

Now that I got a lot of help on my rabbit problem  ( for which I thank you
all--before I take to the guns or dogs, I will try the dried blood! ) can
someone tell me how to definately tell when I have Southern Blight and when
it is  the Ohio Drought causing my trouble.  People viewing the hostas have
offered various opinions.  I dug a couple and treated with clorox as was
suggested, and others I have just left alone.  I also had some trouble with
losing hostas that  I feel was impacted maple tree roots.  Choked those
hostas to death!  Dug those out, saved what I could, and replanted into pots
and then planted pot and all back in the beds.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.