Re: Discussion plants with lots of new growth

The plants that are very vigorous and have that wonderful ongoing flush of
new growth of course, they scream I am very happy.  But what about those
plants that you receive that though they seem not unhappy really do not show
you in any way that what you are doing is working.   Aren't there several
varieties of hostas that are termed slow growing and people should not be
concerned.  Are slow growing varieties something that is inherit in the plant
because of its parentage or just particular to that plant.  EG.Are all
tokudamas normally slower growing than Plantagea offspring.  When is over
fertilizing a problem?  I went to a meeting where it was mentioned that we
have all bought plants that were thriving only to have them come back up in
the spring considerably smaller.  That the thriving plant could have been
forced with fertilizers to become big too quick and was in fact a young
plant.   What are others thoughts on this subject.  Thanks Chris