Re: DISCUSSION / FERTILIZER / HOSTAS

Dan if you get answers to those questions please share them with
everyone.  I
was wondering today about the tender growth on many of my hostas.  They
probably have another month. Is that enough?
Mary
 Hi Mary,
This is one of my biggest concerns too.

Last year I used 17-17-17 in the spring just before the hostas were up.
This year I did not and I noticed a reduction in growth. My smaller
hostas and tissue liners just didn't seem to grow as much. Large mature
hostas look about the same as last year. In spring 2000 I will use
17-17-17 again.

I am really interested in getting small hostas to mature size in as
short a time as possible. The cost of fertilizer is a minor concern.

I used to grow a lot of vegetables. Usually 5 types of sweet corn per
year. I would always trial 2 or 3 new cultivars per year. I have seen
firsthand the increased growth response of corn from fertilizing. I side
dress corn twice during the growing season plus I fertilize when
planting.

I am looking for similar recommended fertilizer practices for hostas.

Dan Nelson