Re: Water or Not?

Gerry/Bob O'Neill wrote:
> We were away from home for most of the month of August. During that what
> should I do about the ones that are apparently (I hope) going dormant?
> Water? Figuring that even one actively photosynthesizing leaf will aid in
> next year's performance? Risking crown rot?
> Not water? Allow the worst ones to just go dormant?
> Gerry
In my opnion, the risk of "crown rot" is decreasing now.  Hostas are ,
right now "pushing" the late summer flush of roots.  This is , no doubt,
necessary to complete devlopment of basel buds.  It is necessary to have
an adiquate water supply, to complete this process well.  In other words
yes , if it is dry ---water.