Re: BAP10 / Mix it yourself?

In a message dated 9/17/1999 11:13:48 PM Central Daylight Time,
halinar@open.org writes:

<<  Why do that when you can buy it
 for $175!  It's not a very complicated chemical, so I'm not sure why
 it is so expensive. >>
<<

When I spoke to the guy at Biostimulants he said that the original formula
that the Hosta growers were using was Bap-6, and that was recommended at
3000ppm. He said that they recommend 1000ppm for Bap-10. He said I would see
a remarkable difference in the dilution at that rate. Any thoughts folks?>>

>>Yes!

BAP-10 is 10% BAP.  That's 100 grams per liter.  To buy 5 grams is
about $50 if I remember correctly, although the price differs from
different sources.  At $175 per liter for BAP-10 it is a lot cheaper
then mixing it yourself.  Also, BAP is NOT very soluble in water, so
it is actually not easy to mix yourself.

>I hope BAP10 turns out to be everything it appears to be.

It works, but not as well as they indicate.

Joe Halinar>>

The less demand for an item to more it costs. I am still a little confused on
what BAP-10 is.  Is it a 10 percent solution of
Benzylaminopurine and if it is How much would one have to dilute this stock
solution down to get it to 1000 parts per million.  This is why I did not do
so well in chemistry. 1 gram should go a long distance.
In tissue culture . 001 grams is used to make one liter.
So 1 gram would make 1000 liters.

If we are to use a solution of 1000 parts per million of BAP-10. would that
be 1 gram of BAP-10 per 1000 grams of water? (1000 grams per 1,000,000 grams
water)

If BAP-10 is 10 grams BA in 100 grams of water, then 10 grams of BA would
make 100 liters of usable solution, or 1 gram would make 10 liters.
If the cost on 100 grams of BA is $560 which would make 1000 liters of BAP-10
at 1000 PPM at a cost of $. 56 per liter?
I am to tired to do math right now and out of practice.

My question is,  Are we to use a stock solution of BAP-10 diluted down to
1000 PPM?
Or is it 1000 PPM, BA

Paul