registration

So, just WHAT is the big deal about registration? Basically, all it does is
try to ensure that names of cv's are not duplicated. A good idea, granted,
and the AHS is correct in *encouraging* registration.

But registering a plant does not ensure that it will be sold under that name.

It does not ensure a quality plant.

It does not ensure that if I order H. whatever from a mailorder source,
that what I get will actually *be* H. whatever.

It does not ensure that if I register my new seedling H. besthostaever that
WalMart will not be selling 10,000 H. plantaginea with a printed label that
says 'H. besthostaever.'

And if there is to be a preferred grower's program, I would rather it be a
designation given to nurseries and mail-order growers who certify that what
they sell is what you get. Or some kind of certification (like the BH&G
Seal of Approval) given to growers with outstanding histories of consumer
service and sale of quality plants. Although ads from any nursery could be
carried in the Journal, Preferred Growers (by my definition) could be
indicated with a logo..Seems this would do more to improve the hosta trade
than any registration program would.

IMHO,
Gerry

P.S. So, at the shows, is there someone sitting at the show table with the
hosta registration database who examines each entry to see that the *name*
is registered and that the plant meets the description that goes with the
registered name? Or do you, as an exhibitor/vendor/auction donater, have to
sign a STG (Swear-to-God) form that your leaf is registered?