Re: Open Questions to the President

>It is not the person it is the power, take away the power and the
>offices must respond to democratic rule. Your enemy is power not the
>person, power has always been abused.

I couldn't agree more with you that the problem is the power and not
necessarily the person.  However, you have to understand that there
are at least two major personality types that have a problem with
power.  The first is the person who seeks out power because they are
attracted to power and it is the power that interests them.  These are
the really dangerous types who often times won't stop at anything.
They often don't have a very high moral and ethics value system.  The
second is the person who is put into a position of power who then
gradually becomes abusive.

The big shot who got me kicked off the daylily robin is clearly of the
first type.  He had absolutely no hesitation to abuse his position
because he had the power and he had the person grudge against me.
This is a real hideous abuse of power.  On the other hand we have a
robin Big Brother who really isn't a bad person, but he was put into a
position of power and then he became abusive of that power.  When you
look at particular problems associated with abuse of power you have to
figure out where the particular person fits in.  In the first case
where the person is abusive because they like/want the power, the only
thing you can do is remove that person from the position of power.
With the person who is basically nice, but lets the power take control
of them, you can sometimes reason with them to get them to understand
the problem.

The problems with the hosta society are basically misconceived policy
decisions followed by poor communication and then a reluctance to
admit to having made an error.  In the daylily society, on the other
hand, the problem is gross unethical abuse of power of a personal
nature by a board member and the past president and criminal behavior
on part of the entire board to engage in a cover up of that abuse of
power and a cover up of the criminal behavior.

I think the problems in the hosta society will clear up becasue there
are enough people who want it cleaned up and the current president and
his supporters won't be in office forever.  This is assuming that the
hosta society doesn't fall apart before that happens.  Policy can
always be changed.  Unfortunately, you can't change the fact that
board members may have engaged in highly unethical behavior for their
own personal gain, nor can you change the fact that criminal acts took
place.  The next president of the hosta society can just toss the
misguidded policy into the trash can.  I don't know what the next
daylily society president is going to do.  So far all I know is that
she is young and good looking, which means that she probably doesn't
have much experience with dealing with the evil side of power.  I
seriously doubt that she has what it takes to stand up to Mr. Big Wig.
If she goes along with the cover up then she becomes part of the
problem and she then lowers her own ethical and moral values to
justify not doing anything.  Some peoplem can live with that.  But
then, if she isn't willing to take the steps to clean house the day
she first takes office, then Mr. Big Wig and the others who are
abusing their board positions will end up controling her and she will
end up doing what they want, not what should be done to solve the many
problems that exists within the society.

Joe Halinar