Re: Examples of harm

In a message dated 99-09-18 09:08:32 EDT, Chick writes:

<< The promotion of registration is,
 I think, a valid endeavor for the Society.  Telling us what plants we are
allowed
 to grow, sell, or give away, what we can call them, and sticking its nose
into
 what you do in your garden or your business is not. >>

Chick:

   Are we not mixing the IAC with the Preferred Grower Program here?  As has
been pointed out several times, they are not the same thing.

   My original question was basically, how does the implementation of the IAC
and the refusal of the AHS to allow "promotion" of unregistered varieties at
its assorted functions and in its publications hurt "everyone" as some have
said?

   Unfortunately, I am in the middle group which you mentioned in another
post --- I do not have strong feelings one way or the other about this issue
... and I am having difficulties understanding the reasoning behind strong
feelings against it.  I do understand your position very clearly on the
Preferred Growers Program and I understand why you feel that way.  Where the
IAC is concerned, however, I am at a loss and can't seem to get a logical
explanation --- is it because some feel this is a "slippery slope" and one
thing will lead to another down the road?

   And, with regard to AHS tour gardens, wasn't there a rule that
unregistered plants were not to be designated by name on plant markers --- or
did I just dream that up?  Hard to say at this point .... I'm so confused ...

Sandie