Re: Examples of Harm

Sandie,

I realize your question about the Preferred Growers was addressed to
Chick. Perhaps Chick will not mind if I attempt to answer it.He may
answer it also if he is inclined.

You asked: "Are we not mixing the IAC with the Preferred Grower Program
here? As has been pointed out several times, they are not the same
thing." You end your post... "I'm so confused".

I suggest you carefully  read Jim Wilkins' article in Journal 29.2,
pages 99 and 100 of the Fall 1998 edition.  He entitled his article
"American Hosta Society Interim Accepted Cultivars" He describes it as a
Program on page 99. then he gives details of some of the parts of the
Program. One of these is the "Preferred Growers". It is not identified
as a separate Program. It is included as part of the IAC Program. If it
is  a part of the overall Program, it might be considered an element of
the IAC Program or another project or sub-project  within the overall
Program. Whether it is a separate element, another project or a  part of
IAC is not made clear. It has been discussed by many people using
ambiguous terminology. Perhaps this is what is causing the confusion in
your mind. But since it has been announced in the first week of
September by Clarence Falstad that the Preferred Growers part of the
Program has been put on hold and will not be implemented, there is no
need to argue about whether we are mixing the IAC and the Preferred
Growers. If it has been pointed out that they are NOT the same thing, I
suggest you go to the person who claims they are not the same thing for
more clarification.

I believe that several people have already given their several opinions
and suggestions of how implementation of "rules" of IAC may hurt
"everyone". The recent posts on hosta-open seem to be overwhelming in
their criticism of IAC Policies/Program. I note that your posts are the
only ones  in recent days which might be considered  posts of support to
the IAC Program or which question the validity of the criticisms made. I
suppose that if one is not aware of the details of the Policies/Program,
then one is not in a position to make a sound assessment of them. I hope
my comments have been helpful to shed more light on some of these
details.

Jim Hawes