Re: registration

At 11:06 AM 9/18/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Gerry/Bob O'Neill wrote:
>
>> And if there is to be a preferred grower's program, I would rather it be a
>> designation given to nurseries and mail-order growers who certify that what
>> they sell is what you get. Or some kind of certification (like the BH&G
>> Seal of Approval) given to growers with outstanding histories of consumer
>> service and sale of quality plants. Although ads from any nursery could be
>> carried in the Journal, Preferred Growers (by my definition) could be
>> indicated with a logo..Seems this would do more to improve the hosta trade
>> than any registration program would.
>>

>Now there's an idea I could support, as long as I get to decide which
nurseries
>are worthy of the seal of approval.  I hereby volunteer to be the person in
>charge of handing out the AHS Seal of Approval.
>
>Chick

Chick,

LOL! OK, kiddo, you're in charge!

Seriously, I see your point and, yes, this means another committee.But
committees are not bad by definition, only by action.

Suppose we had a committee whose members were all known. Imagine you wanted
to get the AHS Seal of Approval. You fill out an application, send it to
the commitee chair. The committee chair then SOLICITS input from the
membership (maybe even, God forbid, those who are not members) through
announcements on the Robins and in the Journal. A deadline would be set,
the committee could review input and vote on granting the seal. There could
even be a process by which vendors are allowed to explain or address any
seriously negative input. And I see no reason why vendors who are denied
the seal couldn't "clean up their act" and reapply at some later time.

There are some quality vendors out there, Chick (and yes, I consider you
one) but there are also some shoddy ones. If I were new to mailorder
purchase of hostas I would sure like something that guided me towards your
business rather than spend money and keep my fingers crossed.

Gerry