Re: Examples of harm

Sam020857@aol.com wrote:

> Chick:
>
>    Before this discussion goes any further, I am not a member of the Board.
> My only job is to select photos for the Journal and the upcoming Journal is
> my first endeavor in this area --- such assumptions and misunderstandings are
> exactly why I did not ask any questions earlier on this subject.
>
>    As I pointed out before, I don't really care about this policy one way or
> the other.  I am simply trying to understand the rabid feelings against it.
> >From the information I have read about the IAC program, it simply appears to
> be strong encouragement to register hostas --- that's it.

Maybe it's time we give up on trying to come to a consensus.  For me, the whole
problem with your view boils down to the last two words above.  In my opinion,
that's not it.  Unless, that is, your definition of "strong encouragement"
includes punishing people who do not agree with you or don't feel that you have
any right telling them what to do or how to run their business. that's not why I
joined the AHS and I don't need that kind "strong encouragement".  Jim Wilkins'
statement that the policy is not meant to punish people who disagree, but only to
reward those who go along is (expletive deleted).  You don't reward people by
allowing them to continue to do what everyone has always been able to do.  And if
you say to someone that unless you agree with me you can not do this and this and
this anymore, but don't think of it as a punishment, you are talking through your
hat.   Just my opinion, and as one who is being threatened with punishment, my
reaction is probably stronger than yours.

>    And not to be nasty or anything, but I stopped asking the question "Why
> make up rules no one wants to follow?" when I was in third grade --- it's
> really not a legitimate
> argument.  After hearing educated adults who really should know better mouth
> and write the same words a million times during my 20 year career on Capitol
> Hill, it really makes me want to wretch!

Ok, I hope you can take it as well as you give, cause I'm not trying to be nasty
either. The following is all typed with a smile on my face.

Did you also learn in the third grade that you don't have to accept what someone
tells you just because they say they know what's best for you?  I spent 12 years
on Capital Hill myself, couldn't take it any longer than that, and one thing I
learned is that the people complaining about us were not always wrong.  Not to
get carried away, but people in power have been doing stupid things on Capital
Hill since the Alien and Sedition Acts.  And I understand that not all rules have
to be popular, rules requiring me to pay taxes are not among my favorites, but I
am aware that they are necessary.  Maybe I should have said that if you are going
to pass a rule that no one is going to follow you should have a fairly good
justification.  And the justification that "I can't see what harm it will do"
isn't good enough.

Chick
Smiling as always