evaluating hostas

OK Butch, let me see if I understood. What you are saying is that
if we speak of all the good things about a Hosta, and not the bad,
then people would only buy those that are good, and the bad ones
would disappear because noone would talk about them.

On one hand, I might agree. I agree that when someone talks about a
Hosta that I do not currently own, and they make favorable
comments, I go to my database and mark that Hosta as one to
investigate further. For example, a month or so back, there was a
list started that was called "Most underappreciated Hosta in my
garden", I believe. Many of the Hostas discussed, I already grow,
however, some I did not. So I marked those as investigate. I take
my investigate list and try to read about those Hostas. Then, I try
to find a picture of it. If I like it, I'll ask other southern
gardeners if they grow it, and how it does. If I get positive
results, I put it on my want list. Depending on the price, I'll
either buy it, or wait. At some point the price will drop and I can
afford to purchase it.

However, now lets look at the other situation. I do allot of
traveling and visit nurseries all over the place. I see a pot of
Yellow River. It looks good at the nursery, but it doesn't grow
well in our area. I'd like to know that prior to spending money on
it. Hence, I appreciate people's negative comment as well.

Just my thoughts.

Lu  (Atlanta Zone 7B)