Re: Registering

Jean Carpenter wrote:
> Question:  What is to stop people from just naming their own plants and
> selling them to others?
>      Registering means nothing to lots of people. In fact, people who don't
> know the names of hosta and there are a lot of those,  # 1. could care less
> if they are named or not, #2. buy them because of their color or
> variegation, or just because they like them, #3. have no idea that there
> even is a hosta society and IMO would be appalled at its tactics and what is
> going on within the "society".   Registering means to me that it will be a
> high price tag for a few years until it becomes more available.  I just
> don't understand the reasoning except the money involved. Anyone want to
> explain it without being nasty?  Jean
I am one hundred % for registration of all named Hostas, and equally
aganst the methods currently being employed by the AHS to force it.
Registration "legalizes" the name, and ties it to a (hopfully) accurate
set of specifications, that represent the major features of the plant.
This is important information to have if you purchase a plant that is
not what you thought you were getting.  It is  ( on plants that the
parentage is shown) important information for hybridizers to have to
use, and helps us "build" better plants for the future.  It provides
(when kept up to date) a valuable data base, for tracking all kinds of
trends, and in fact just how many named Hostas are in existance.  What
it does not do , is "justify" the quality of any plant.  It attempts to
place no "guarentees" on any Hosta.  I don't believe that it necessarly
follows, that registered Hostas are worth more money, or are sold for
more.  In fact in many cases , those that spend the most money on "new"
Hostas , are likely to search out unregistered plants for purchase and
these are frequently pricy.  Last I want to answer your question about
naming your own plant.  Of course you can do that.  I can put a "catchy"
name on any one of the thousands of hybrids I have here.  But when I am
actually going to register and then distribute the plant, I must take a
hard look at all aspects of it.  Doing this requires me to analize the
bad with the good.  Time after time, I have discarded a Hosta because
when I really have to fill out the forms,it simply is not quite good
Hope this helps
Ran Lydell
Eagle Bay Hosta Gardens
Dunkirk,  NY  14048