Re: Examples of harm

Anything that effects growers in a negative way causes prices to go up.
It also creates a more exclusive nature to the business which holds
perfectly good plants off the market at low prices in favor of
designer plants.

You are a member of a local society? How many members can afford the
designer plants or really need them to have a nice garden.

This concept of grow it for 5 to 7 years then test in different areas
before registration or introduction is all cost which runs up the price.
It does give people with more money than sense something to pay a big
prices for then spend big bucks to go to the convention and brag about.

PS, I just described myself. I've spent big bucks for plants and will
again. BUT, is that good for the genus Hosta. Education is the only
excuse for the AHS and education is about what is not elevating a
plant to a deity.  Hosta wars, Holy wars what are they good for HUH

At 08:45 AM 9/21/99 EDT, you wrote:
>In a message dated 99-09-20 21:27:57 EDT, Chick writes:
><<  You can't
> do exactly as you please if what you would like to do is advertise in the
> Journal, enter a cut leaf show, sell plants at the convention, have one of
> plants displayed in a convention garden, and tell the AHS that it's your
> and you should be the one who decides when and if to register it. >>
>Ok, Chick ... you are exactly right.  Now which one of the above listed
>directly impacts you other than the last one?
>And, yes, I guess it is fair to say that, at this point in my life, if
>something doesn't greatly impact my husband or my children one way or the
>other, I simply can't be bothered.  I have said before that, if I were in
>business, I would probably feel differently, but I'm not, so I don't.  I
>still don't have strong feelings about the issue one way or the other ---
>it's just not the kind of thing that lights a fire under my tail.
>I'm sorry ... and you can stick a fork in me now 'cause I'm done!!! ;-)
Butch Ragland So. Indiana zone 5