Re: Examples of harm

Sam020857@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 99-09-20 21:27:57 EDT, Chick writes:
>
> <<  You can't
>  do exactly as you please if what you would like to do is advertise in the
>  Journal, enter a cut leaf show, sell plants at the convention, have one of
> your
>  plants displayed in a convention garden, and tell the AHS that it's your
> plant
>  and you should be the one who decides when and if to register it. >>
>
> Ok, Chick ... you are exactly right.  Now which one of the above listed items
> directly impacts you other than the last one?

Well, I'm not sure I understand the question.  You may be referring to the fact
that I don't currently participate in those activities.  That doesn't mean I
never will want to again.  I have advertised in the Journal, and under the
proposal I will not be able to do that again after Jan 2001.  I have unregistered
plants in one of the tour gardens in next years convention,  and under the
proposal, if I want to show any of my current crop of hybrids under evaluation in
a future tour garden, most would have to be labeled "unnamed seedling x unnamed
seedling".  I have had 'Satisfaction' an unregistered introduction pictured in
the Journal, and under the proposal if I have interesting plants I am evaluating,
they cannot be pictured in the Journal. If the AHS holds a convention close
enough to me that I would like to be a vendor, I would be banned.  Am I missing
something in your question or do you not feel that it matters?

> And, yes, I guess it is fair to say that, at this point in my life, if
> something doesn't greatly impact my husband or my children one way or the
> other, I simply can't be bothered.  I have said before that, if I were in the
> business, I would probably feel differently, but I'm not, so I don't.  I
> still don't have strong feelings about the issue one way or the other ---
> it's just not the kind of thing that lights a fire under my tail.
>
> I'm sorry ... and you can stick a fork in me now 'cause I'm done!!! ;-)

Nobody is trying to stick a fork in you, but in one of your posts you said "and I
am having difficulties understanding the reasoning behind strong feelings against
it."  and I have been trying to explain, without being snotty,  the reason why so
many of us are against it even though it doesn't affect you personally.  And with
each explanation, you raised additional questions or commented on my reasoning.
You can't jump into a disagreement and say "I don't understand why you care"
without expecting a response and then try to pretend that the issue turns on
whether it greatly affects you and your husband and children.  As much as we like
you and your family, it has nothing to do with our strong feelings.

Chick