Re: Registering

At 09:00 AM 9/21/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I believe, that, as the problems that need to be delt with by the AHS,
>are of a wide geographical area, and the "needs " of gardeners that use
>Hostas, are equally widespread, what must to be done is the following.
>1.  The process that is used to selsct the "board" needs carefull
>review.  They are the policy setters.
>2.  The primary problem in most of the "disputes" I see, is the lack of
>communications.  Understood ( by all) channels need to be established.
>This could be done , at least in part, using local societies.
>3.  The board, which is supposed to be our representitives (Jim Wilkins
>words)should take to the "board Meeting"the thoughts and needs of all.
>I can find little evidence that they are asking for this impute, or in
>fact welcome it.  They are about to have a meeting in early Oct.  How
>will they know what to discuss?
>4.  Before implimenting "new policy" the general membership should be
>given a chance to review such, and "voice" opnions.  I am sure if this
>had been done with the IAC list, and the perfered growers , a better
>more relistic program could have been initiated.
>5.  The "board" needs to propose a change to the Bi-laws, that would
>allow for a vote on major issues, from all AHS members, not just those
>attending a convention "business meeting". This should be then brought
>up as a motion from the chair, at the next convention "business meeting"
>There are many smaller issues, but I think if these "problems" were
>resolved, we would have a better organization.

All good ideas Ran..With regard to the October meeting and the Board
members..You suggested a while back that we communicate with Jim Wilkins,
and a lot of us did.

Suppose we did the same thing with the Board? At least if we did, we
couldn't say we hadn't tried to make our views known..

Or perhaps a letter from hosta-open as a group, with not only our opinions
expressed, but a specific list of suggestions for fixing the problems we
all perceive. Jim Hawes' suggestions in another post today seem like a good
starting point.