Re: Tattoo----Solution to the Problem

As a buyer not a grower you have not walked a mile in those shoes.

Disease and pest are every growers constant companion and they fight that
battle everyday of their lives. No nursery or grower is ever completely
free of disease and pest and none could be 100% that a shipment is disease
or pest free.

As a professional in this business you know well how really ignorant your
customers are about what you do.

> Butch Ragland wrote:
>"The very last thing a grower would do is have or sell diseased plants."
>Butch,
>As a commercial buyer of landscape plants I can attest to the fact that
>your above statement is false. We find insects and disease quite often
>on nursery stock(trees, shrubs and perennials).  A good friend of mine
>has received hostas from a commercial hosta nursery infected with foliar
>nematodes.
>
>I believe most hosta nurseries are very good at shipping disease free
>plants, but there are notable exceptions. Tony Avent sells some of the
>best nursery stock in the business and constantly checks for insects and
>disease.
>
>I will go further and say this: At the microscopic level it is darn near
>impossible to grow or sell plants without small amounts of insects or
>disease present.
>
>Dan Nelson
>
>PS. By the way, on a positive note, on a scale of one to 10, I rate
>Tattoo -5

Butch Ragland So. Indiana zone 5