Re: Alfalfa Meal

In a message dated 9/22/1999 6:30:30 PM Central Daylight Time,
rogers4@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< The recent thread on alfalfa meal set me to wondering why the results were
 so good.  According to one source, the NPK numbers are 2.4, 0.2, and 2.1
 respectively and it improves soil tilth.  Cost is also in its favor at
 $8.95 for a 50 pound bag in the Chicago suburbs.

 Another source comments as follows, "There's a lot of enthusiasm on the
 organic list for alfalfa meal as a fertilizer.  It's rated as 5-1-2, plus
 it has "triaconatol, a natural fatty-acid growth stimulant, plus trace
 minerals," according to the 1992 Rodale Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening.

The nutritional value is very low-but it does make a great soil additive do
to it's ability to improve texture.
The Tricontanal plus other chemical compounds are what makes it a "wonder"
additive.
Lightly work the alfalfa into the soil in the spring for best results out
side of making a "tea."
When I work with alfalfa I use a 55 gallon drum and mix in a one gallon ice
cream pale of "horse cubs," Add 1/2 cup of Ammonia plus 6 table spoons of
"Miracle Grow" or some such product.  I allow it to sit for 24 hours and them
mix very well with a stick. After three days I use the resulting solution as
a soil drench and a foliar application.
One additional comment-if you make the "tea" do not let it stand around too
long-it smells a little on the FOWL side.

Paul