Re: Tattoo

Chick:

>Strange as it may seem, there are many growers who honor a patent
>simply because it is the right thing to do.

That is true.  But then a lot of people don't rob banks because it is
the right thing to do.  However, with a hosta or anything else that
may be patented, the person growing/propagating the plant has to know
it is patented.  If you buy a hosta at a local nursery it may not have
a tag that says it is patented.  Also, many plants are patented with a
different name, or even just a number, then what they are sold under,
so it can be difficult to look at granted patents and know a
particular plant is actually patented. Thus, it is easy for someone to
not know a plant is patented.  As a patent holder you have to make
sure that the plants that do get sold by either you or licensed
growers are clearly stated as being patented.  Since most hostas are
not patented, its easy to assume that any hosta in your yard is also
not patented.  My main commerical crop is daylilies and few daylilies
are patented.  However, I do respect patents and just will not grow
any patented daylilies.

Joe Halinar