      From:   halinar@open.org [mailto:halinar@open.org]
      Sent:   Thursday, September 23, 1999 11:57 AM
      To:     hosta-open@mallorn.com
      Subject:        Re: Tattoo

      >Strange as it may seem, there are many growers who honor a patent
      >simply because it is the right thing to do.

      That is true.  But then a lot of people don't rob banks because it is
      the right thing to do.  However, with a hosta or anything else that
      may be patented, the person growing/propagating the plant has to know
      it is patented.  If you buy a hosta at a local nursery it may not have
      a tag that says it is patented.  Also, many plants are patented with a
      different name, or even just a number, then what they are sold under,
      so it can be difficult to look at granted patents and know a
      particular plant is actually patented. Thus, it is easy for someone to
      not know a plant is patented.  As a patent holder you have to make
      sure that the plants that do get sold by either you or licensed
      growers are clearly stated as being patented.  Since most hostas are
      not patented, its easy to assume that any hosta in your yard is also
      not patented.  My main commerical crop is daylilies and few daylilies
      are patented.  However, I do respect patents and just will not grow
      any patented daylilies.

      Joe Halinar

      message text UNSUBSCRIBE HOSTA-OPEN