Re: useless data 3

In a message dated 9/23/1999 8:56:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
halinar@open.org writes:

 >If a single seed is 5 mg....
 IF, IF, IF.  Did you not weigh some Hosta seeds to find out what they
 weigh on average?  Do you have any evidence that a single Hosta seed
 weighs 5 mg?

I come out to an average weight of 4 mg, but I am using clean seed with most
of the wings still on and the seed is semidried, so 5 mg for fresh seed seems
Hosta sure do produce a lot chaff with there seeds. It appears most embryos
do not develop into seeds on many pods on a wide range of cultivars.
the seed I used was a collection from a number of diffrent plants covering
the range from large Hosta to small Hosta.