Re: Foliar Nematode Research for Resistant Cultivars

Beth Arnold ask:

"Dan, Where did the information come from about doing research to find
resistant varieties?

I was asked by the researchers in Ohio if I would ask members of the
robin to donate plants that did not have foliar nematodes so they could
do research on resistance. I did not donate any hostas or ask the robin
members because I don't support this type of research.

After the convention I talked with C.H. Falstad and C.H. told me the
researchers were also doing research on resistant cultivars.

Finally, I wake up at night hearing loud voices saying the researchers
are doing research looking for resistant cultivars. <joke> (actually the
voices are saying "buy more hostas")

I understand C.H. will be talking about foliar nematode research at the
Hosta In Focus meeting in November. I was hoping to gather some
membership opinions on the subject for the "Ask the Experts" part of the

I guess I am the first to break this news. This research decision must
have been made some time ago.

I have been posting to the AHS robin also and have not received a
public response from any AHS official that would be in a position to
confirm or deny my statement about resistant research.

 I will certainly look like the fool that cried wolf if I am wrong and
there is no research for resistant cultivars.

Thanks for the question,

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7