Re: Foliar Nematode Research for Resistant Cultivars

Yes Ran, you are right!  I just reread the information in the yearbook
written by Jim Wilkins and nothing is said about "resistant varieties".
Only research in general, which could be a problem in itself.  Unfortunately
we do not have the luxury of having the time to think of questions before we
are asked to participate in this ventures.  I have just posted Jim and posed
the question and will report when I receive a response.

Following is the post I sent:

Dear Jim,

A question has been raised about our foliar nematode research being done by
Ohio State University.  I for one am very curious about this study.  I had
considered donating personally to this fund but am glad I withheld any
donation until you can answer my question or lead me to the person who can
answer it.

Are we doing research to find a treatment for the foliar nematodes in hosta
or are we doing research to find resistant cultivars?  IMO, resistant
cultivars might be a good avenue to pursue but I think that could be
determined through consistant efforts by reliable members over a period of
time.  This gives members a purpose to study their private collections for
education purposes and  would not take precious dollars from the fund in
finding a treatment for foliar nematodes.

I will appreciate your response to this and/or any explanation you can give
me.

Very sincerely,

Beth Arnold