Re: Foliar Nematode Research for Resistant Cultivars

C.H. Falstad asked:
"What rate of Vydate did you use?  When NC State cooperate Extension
service tested Oxamyl they did not get any statistically significant
control."
--------------------------------
C.H.,

I used Vydate L at the rate of two pints per 100 gallons. I applied as a
foliar spray and as a soil drench in the same application. I repeated
this application 2 weeks later. Vydate L is 24% Oxamyl. The Vydate L
label list several methods of treatment for the control of nematodes.
These are: soil treatment(pre planting), soil drench(after planting),
corm or bulb dip, and foliar application. I combined a foliar
application and soil drench in one application.

I believe the N.C. State cooperate Extension service research is flawed
because it only used Oxamyl in a granular formation applied to the soil.
This research was reported on in a past Journal, I believe.

Nematicides are usually aimed at soil born nematodes. As the foliar
nematode most likely lives largely in the hosta leaf during the growing
season a foliar application is the most direct method of application.
Plus, Oxamyl is systemic and translocates throughout the hosta. Soil
applications take much longer for the nematicide to move form the roots
to the leaves. Just how much longer I don't know.

Using only a soil application of Oxamyl is a serious flaw in the N.C.
State cooperate Extension service research IMO.

Spending AHS money looking for resistant cultivars is a flaw in the
current Ohio State research project IMO. I am convinced that this
information can be had cheaply or for free and takes away from the time
spent researching controls and should not be accepted as part of the
"package" offered by Ohio State. I also feel this information, even if
gained, will be of very limited use.
Dan Nelson made this statement:
This kind of spending of club money needs to be made public BEFORE it is
> spent and before people donate money and plants for the cause.

C.H. responded:
I will respectively disagree here.  Although I would love to present
each
proposal to the entire membership before acting on it, I don't feel this
would be very practical.  The time required and/or cost would be beyond
any
benefit.
C.H.,
You could at least share you proposal with the 240 members of the AHS
robin. It cost nothing and the feedback could be useful. The whole
membership does not have to be involved. The whole membership is not
involved in voting in elections at the convention and this does not seem
to be a concern. Why are the 240 people on the robin not treated as a
resource? If you really wanted input from as many people as possible you
would post your intentions to the robin.

I stand by my statement that $25,000 is a very small investment in
research and that this money should be tightly focused on the control of
foliar nematodes only at this time.

Had the researchers that reached the conclusion that cutting starfish in
half would lead to their death asked for public input such a foolish
situation may have been avoided. (this is the point I gathered from you
analogy)

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7