1993-94 GATW Issue 41-4

  • Subject: [IGSROBIN] 1993-94 GATW Issue 41-4
  • From: Sandy Connerley <sandyc@SURFARI.NET>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 09:00:41 -0800

Issue 41-4 has a lovely old print on page 19 from THE FLORIST, FRUITIST
& GARDEN MISCELLANY, 1849 with descriptions from the 1851 edition.  The
flowers depicted are 'Defiance,'  'Ne Plus Ultra' and 'Jenny Lind'.
This is part of an article by Robin Parer entitled Treasures by Mail, A
Catalogue Survey.

I am with Maria and would like hybridizing articles in depth and also on
methods of achieving results desired.

Also, the very old history of the plant hunters re our favorite plants
is a subject that is very informative and entertaining.

Care of plants in different areas would be nice.  I cannot believe the
difference between Eureka on the north coast of California and Grover
Beach on the central coast.  In Eureka I really fought botrytis and such
moist air and here the plants that were in poor shape are just pulling
out beautifully with no fuss.  Some areas must have to deal with heat
and harsh sun.  Tips from those with experience would be great for
weather challenged areas.

Sandy