Alert: Proposed USDA Noxious Weeds Program

  • Subject: [IGSROBIN] Alert: Proposed USDA Noxious Weeds Program
  • From: Phil Bunch <pbunch@CTS.COM>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 05:55:58 -0700
  • Comments: To: Stapeliads , south_african_bulbs@onelist.com, peperomia@yahoogroups.com, Opuntia_and_kin@yahoogroups.com, MESEMBS , Kalanchoe_and_kin@egroups.com, Haworthia , HAWORTHIA , hardycacti_etc@opus.labs.agilent.com, Fat-Plants@yahoogroups.com, Crown_of_Thorns@yahoogroups.com, Crassulaceae@yahoogroups.com, cacti2@yahoogroups.com, cacti_etc@opus.labs.agilent.com, Cacti_and_Succulents@yahoogroups.com, aroid-l@mobot.org, Aloe@onelist.com, AGAVACEAE@yahoogroups.com, ADENIUM

Please forgive the cross posting but this is a very important issue.
Also I'm no longer subscribed to some of these lists and would
appreciate it if this information gets passed on to as many plant
oriented groups as possible.

J.L. Hudson published an article in the April issue of Espinas y
Flores (the SDCSS Newsletter) indicating that the USDA is proposing
required permits and inspections of all seeds and plants being
transported across state lines (in the US). Hudson has a website with
some opinion at:

http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/USDAComment.htm

The proposal can be accessed at:

http://www.invasivespecies.gov/council/actionb.shtml

Per Hudson the permits will cost a minimum of $100 and violation would
carry a penalty from $1000 to $250,000.

I need to read the Proposed Action carefully but I suspect this is
going to severely restrict our ability to exchange seed if it is
implemented. Comments may be sent to Alan.V.Tasker@usda.gov .

This really puts me on the horns of a dilemma since I am involved in
invasive species issues at work and don't want to loose the
opportunity to obtain new genes for my collection. The invasive
species issue is real and is causing significant damage to some
ecosystems. Very large areas in California are totally dominated by
non-native species now (mostly grasses) and it is unlikely that these
habitats will ever support native communities again.

Phil Bunch
Lemon Grove, California
32:44:00N 117:01:58W
540 feet (164 meters) amsl