Hybridizing

  • Subject: [IGSROBIN] Hybridizing
  • From: Mary <mscontrary@POBOX.COM>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 10:25:19 -0700

I just want to add my appreciation for the information on hybridizing.

I am guilty of very disorganized, hit-and-miss hybridizing over the years.
This year I have promised to do better.

I have about a dozen seedlings that I started under lights late this winter.
Some of them, from a tall lanky seed parent, are (no surprise) growing tall
and lanky. Others, from a more bushy (dwarf?) seed parent have shown more
signs of branching at a young age.

I have one 20 year old pelargonium that I raised from seed (and managed to
keep alive all these years). It had been in a large pot for most of this
time. Last fall I stuck it in the ground (I had cuttings in pots). It got a
little burned from frost but has taken off. Drooping branches are actually
rooting in the ground. About half of the seedlings I am growing this year
are from this plant.

I am hoping to do some crosses this spring and summer and to keep track of
*both* parents.

Mary Bordi
--
       mscontrary@pobox.com