Re: Alert: Proposed USDA Noxious Weeds Program

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Alert: Proposed USDA Noxious Weeds Program
  • From: DX Victor <david@VICTOR.U-NET.COM>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 19:00:56 +0100

Hi there Phil,

From what I have read elsewhere, USDA passed these regulation under the
Clinton administration, but did not immediatlely implement them.  Last
year, they decided to do so, originally with an implementation date in
October.  However, after calls for a delay, they did so until 23 January
this year, when the regulations took effect.  I understand that ther are
calls to implement on an interstate basis and that this is being
sympathetically reviewed and is likely to be implemented.

The regulation do not call for the banning of imports, but instead say that
each importation must by accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate.
Clearly, in the case of seed transports, this is likely to be prohibitive:
I recently imported some Pelargonium Section Hoarea tubers and the
certificate cost the best part of $50.

Amazingly, few seed exporters, including seed schemes, yet seem to have
caught up with all this.  It seems likely to stop the import of seed to the
US.

Best Regards,
David Victor

Araceae, Cape bulbs, Clematis, Geraniaceae, Paeoniaceae, Saxifragaceae and
anything else that is beautiful
Hockliffe, Bedfordshire, England, UK   Zone 7

Visit the new British Clematis Society web site at
<http://www.britishclematis.org.uk>