Thanks for the links to DNA information

  • Subject: [IGSROBIN] Thanks for the links to DNA information
  • From: "Roth, Barry" <BRoth@BROBECK.COM>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 19:25:16 -0700
  • Comments: To: Sandy Connerley

Dear Sandy,

Thank you for the links.  I was able to see the abstracts (below) from
presentations made at the XVI International Botanical Congress, 1999 -- two
as session lectures, and one apparently a poster shown at that meeting.  But
I guess you "hadda be there," because these don't link to full presentations
of the results.  Too bad, because it sounds like good stuff -- analysis from
nuclear, mitochondrial, and chloroplast DNA sequences; real fundamental
genetic data.  And the method of analysis ("cladistic") is the best way of
reconstructing the probable "family trees" of the species studied.

I don't see too much here to help a hybridizer.  But if one ever found
articles in which the authors have published (or will publish) the results
underlying these abstracts, that could be very helpful.

You mentioned

>a very good piece on testing in Geraniums IV in the chapter on History.
>But, the testing mentioned there was done in about 1966.

The technology of DNA sequencing did not exist in 1966, so that must have
involved some other method of analysis.

Barry Roth

(The following material is presented here under the doctrine of fair use,
for purposes of discussion:)
KARYOLOGICAL CHANGE IN PELARGONIUM.
Mary Gibby1, Focke Albers2, Freek Bakker3 andAlastair Culham3, 1Dept. of
Botany, Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London SW7 5BD,UK, 2Institut
für Botanik, Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität, D-48149 Münster, Germany.
3Dept. of Botany, The Univ. of Reading RG6 6AS, UK
Cytological investigation of species of Pelargonium has revealed variation
not only in basic chromosome number [x=4, (7), 8, 9,10, 11, 17, 19, 21] but
also in chromosome size, and these characters have proved to be of value for
the sectional classification of the genus. For species within a section,
basic chromosome number and size are fairly uniform. Rarely, e.g. in section
Hoarea, there is variation in number (x= 9, 10, 11) and in this section
there is some evidence for reduction in chromosome number by Robertsonian
fusion. A molecular phylogeny based on mtDNA and cpDNA sequence data
supports the view that x = 11 is basal in the genus but that Pelargonium has
two lineages, one with small and the other with larger chromosomes, and that
reduction in chromosome number has been derived independently in each
lineage.
EVOLUTIONARY RELATIONSHIPS IN PELARGONIUM: A THREE GENOME APPROACH
Freek T. Bakker1, Alastair Culham1 and Mary Gibby2,1The University of
Reading, UK, 2The Natural History Museum, London, UK
Over the past decades a large body of evidence has been accumulated on
comparative morphology, Karyology, phytochemistry and palynology of the
genus Pelargonium by laboratories from England, Germany, South Africa and
the US. This has resulted in the current classification of Pelargonium into
16 sections. Understanding of evolutionary relationships across the genus
based on cladistic analyses of well-defined characters has been generally
lacking however. In this presentation phylogenetic reconstructions will be
discussed, based on simultaneous cladistic analyses of different types of
data including that from nuclear rDNA ITS, chloroplast trnL-F and
mitochondrial nad1 b/c sequences.
A NEW CLASSIFICATION FOR PELARGONIUM (GERANIACEAE)
Freek T. Bakker1, Alastair Culham1, and Mary Gibby2, 1The University of
Reading, UK, 2The Natural History Museum, London, UK
The last formal treatment of the genus Pelargonium was by R. Knuth in 1912
and was based predominantly on vegetative and floral morphology. Currently
the genus is classified into 16 sections based on data from comparative
morphology, karyology, phytochemistry and palynology produced by
laboratories from England, Germany, South Africa and the US. From recent
molecular systematic studies using cladistic analysis of DNA sequences
obtained from three genomes, some of these sections are shown to be
non-monophyletic. In the light of this molecular phylogenetic hypothesis the
classification of Pelargonium is re-appraised to reflect evolutionary
relationships.

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.
To reply to our email administrator directly, send an email to postmaster@brobeck.com
BROBECK PHLEGER & HARRISON LLP
http://www.brobeck.com