Re: Ivies

  • Subject: Re: Ivies
  • From: William F Hummel <wfhummel@COMCAST.NET>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:31:25 -0700

Hi Sandy,

It's been a long time since I took cuttings so I can't give you any
special advice on the subject.  However I don't think there is much
difference between rooting zonals and rooting ivies.  I've done it
mainly with ivies, in water, sand, and directly in a potting soil,
both with and without a rooting powder.  I haven't noticed any
particular advantage of one way over the other.  The one precaution I
think worth observing is to make a sharp clean cut just below a node,
preferably with a razor blade.

Your selection of new plants suggests that you are building a diverse
collection.  Is this collection driven by the love of an amateur or
are you planning to go into the business yourself?

I checked out the Holt Geraniums website and it seems like a well-run
operation.  Have you ever dealt with the New Leaf Nursery in Vista, CA
run by Gerald Stewart?  I don't know him myself, but I visited the
nursery in the 1980s when it was just getting started as I recall.

I understand there are supposed to be about 115 subscribers to this
list.  You are the only one with whom I have corresponded so far.
Having just joined it myself, I have no idea how many others are
active on the list or how often mail is posted to it.

William    =20

>Hi William,
>Thanks for sharing your memories and your experience with the ivies.
>I have ordered the following, and guess they are mostly dwarf and some =
are balcon ivies and the description is as it comes from Holt Geraniums. =
 They have not arrived for which I am thankful since not quite ready for =
>Frances Parmenter: =91Mini Lilac Cascade=92 but with each leaf having a =
wide white border. A lovely dwarf plant.
>Balcon Ivy
>Oldbury Cascade A mini Balcon-type. Leaves green with a wide border from=
 cream to gold. Single red flowers. Very striking combination!
>Balcon Ivy
>Remsquelle Variegatum: Single pale pink almost white with a red dot on =
top petals. Variegated golden green with white foliage.
>Balcon Ivy
>Golden Lilac Gem: Stiff, waxy green leaf with a wide gold border. Double=
 lilac bloom. Short to medium trailing.
>Golden Tears: Light gold, stiff leaves, shield shaped, slightly scented.=
 Flowers are double pale lavender. Very compact, dwarf.
>Ivy stringer =BD dollar or silver dollar sized leaf, shade
>Laced Sugar Baby: Semi-double pink bloom, green leaves are veined with =
white. Small, dwarf ivy that blooms profusely. Very attractive!
>I was given Rose Evka and it has one bud now.  And, another person gave =
me Sunset Marble aka Wood's Surprise.  Also have a very tiny Golden Baby =
which is a sport of Gay Baby.  It has been a very slow grower - got it at=
 the board meeting in January and still pretty small.  That one is in the=
 greenhouse, other two on the deck right now.
>Can you tell me how the ivies differ as far as taking cuttings?  Have =
grown the zonals almost exclusively at this stage, though had a garden of=
 regals as a child.  In the bay area everything grew, and it seemed I =
just rammed a regal cutting into the ground with no problems.