[IGSROBIN] Mealies

Arrghh! Have I had....ouch! Ask most c&s people and I am sure you will get
a lot of good answers to that! Hahaha! My own very special solution to this
problem..and I used it yesterday on Chlorinda as she had mealies ( not the
c&s Thank Heavens) , is to let the roots sit in a solution of dishwashing
liquid, lab spirits and warm water. Smells awful, but the dishwashing
liquid acts like a cleanser and a wetting agent, and the spirits kills the
buggers. Oh..you want to get rid of every speck of dirt on the roots or it
may resurface. The eggs are in the white cotton!

How you know for sure...it is like white specks of cotton on the roots,
almost with a bluish cast in a certain light. And if you have a heavy
infestation it may crawl....and if it crawls, most of your plants may be
infected as the youngsters are extremely fast movers! A good way to ensure
you don't get this is to isolate all new purchases, repot and remove the
commercial soil.
And....repot your other plants often. This discourages the mealies from
getting hold of your most priced angel!

There are lots of good soil drenches on the market too...so I am sure yoru
mealies will be a bad memory soon!

Best of luck,

Ingrid in Sweden