Re: [IGSROBIN] Damn what a long day

  I have my own compost bin; but I don't want to put any mealy bugs in
the compost, or any rust, or any of the other diseases my plants seem to
get. So sometimes they just...dare I say it?...go out in the trash....
  But, while I'm on the subject of mealy bugs, a few weeks ago Cindi, on
my behalf, posted a question about root mealy bugs and how to deal with
them. I got a couple of responses: one was yours, Ingrid, mentioning
something about "laboratory spirits." Would that be some kind of
alcohol? I'm not familiar with it. Meanwhile, I'm trying Orthene, which
completely goes against my organic gardening heart, and which has to be
the vilest smelling chemical I've come across. I swear, it's so strong
and so vile that I'm still mselling it hours after I drench the roots. I
made the mistake of mixing the first batch, last week, in my kitchen, of
all the stupid and dangerous places! And of course, I spilled some on
the counter! It took all day with the doors open to get rid of the
  Any other advice about mealy bugs would be appreciated. Also, I'd
appreciate advice about dealing with rust. Is there any safe way to get
rid of rust, or are chemicals the only solution short of tossing badly
infected plants?
  Adam in Pennsylvania
   Clockwork Online - Telnet: clockwork.com - Modem: (215)546-7088
   http://www.clockwork.com - Full Internet - Games - Lots Of Fun!
       Clockwork is Philadelphia's  Favorite Online Community!