Re: Comparisons

Hi Barry,

I always learn from you.  Did not realize that white stigma types have unzoned leaves.  Will have to go out to the greenhouse tomorrow to check, though I don't have tons blooming now as they have been butchered for cuttings.

I have grown both Keepsake and Lyric in the past, but do not have them now.  I have Francis Parrett.  Had grown Jayne Eyre in the past as well.  Was given several plants with wrong names.  One is in the lavender type range, and still am not certain.  If I can't decide with certainty in the next few months, will discard it.

Since you are available now, do you have Howard Kerrigan's Goblin.  Holmes Miller carried it in his catalogs.  If I have the correct one, it is a joy.  The leaves just do not have a zone at all.  There is no white center, but I shall look to see if it has a white stigma.

Sandy

Barry Roth <barry_roth@YAHOO.COM> wrote:
HI, Sandy,

I have grown Keepsake and Lyric. Both are "dark dwarfs." Keepsake has distinctly darker flowers than Lyric, definitely in the purple (rather than pink) range but not deep purple-crimson like, for instance, Royal Norfolk. I recall the flower color resembling the standard, non-dwarf, Patience of Holmes C. Miller; would not be surprised to learn if they had parentage in common. It has a white-stigma type of white center, but the center is not large. Lyric is in the bluish-pink range, pale, and also has a white-stigma white center. I recall the center being larger than that of Keepsake. I think the plant is also of larger stature than Keepsake.

Both are fully double with good-sized, well formed flowers. The leaves are unzoned, as you would expect with white-stigma white centered flowers.

Best regards,

Barry

Sandy Connerley wrote:
Hello All,

I am wondering if anyone grows Jayne Eyre, Francis Parrett, Keepsake and Lyric. Wonder what the differences are in real life, size, shades of flowers, which have white eyes, and differences in foliage.

Looking forward to some comments.

Sandy