Special Cutting Rescue

Hi Again,

I have a very special cutting of a zonal.  It arrived in the mail.  I cut it right below a node and put it in my sterile cutting medium without overwatering.  It started getting a spot of brown rot on the side of the stem, so I removed it and trimmed it to right below the next node.  Decided I would rather try rooting it in water even though the roots would not be the proper kind.  Well, it has been in water over two weeks.  No rotting, and no rootlets.  It appears healthy.  I have sprayed the top with Eleanor's VF-11.  Have taken Clonex and dipped a toothpick in it, and swirled it in the water at water changes.  It does have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties as well as rooting hormone.  About a 1/6 to 1/8 portion of the end of the stem has what appears to be cell burst.  Still nothing happening.  I can cut to one more node, but that will be the end of it.  Should I cut to the next node, or wait?