Re: Comparisons

  • Subject: Re: Comparisons
  • From: Barry Roth <barry_roth@YAHOO.COM>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:12:43 -0700

I don't know that the correspondence between white stigma-white center and
unzoned leaves is absolute.  I've just observed it often enough (e.g. in the
varieties hybridized by Holmes Miller) that I expect it.

Don't know, of course, how many different genes, singly or in combination, may
produce a white stigma-white center.  Because of Miller's practice of line
breeding and backcrossing, his varieties probably have a single ws-wc genotype
in common.  If you can think of one that has both the ws-wc and a zoned leaf,
it would be interesting to know which one and then to examine its parentage (if
that could be found out).  And/or look at it in detail to see whether the white
center really looks like it is homologous with the white centers in the
varieties I'm thinking of (e.g., Radiance, Bravo, Maytime, many others from the
Miller catalogue).

--- Sandy Connerley <sandy_connerley@SBCGLOBAL.NET> wrote:

> Hi Barry,
> I always learn from you.  Did not realize that white stigma types have
> unzoned leaves.  Will have to go out to the greenhouse tomorrow to check,
> though I don't have tons blooming now as they have been butchered for
> cuttings.

Do you Yahoo!?