Re: Comparisons

Maria,

How very interesting.  So, the darker, thicker leaf dwarfs make better windowsill plants?  I have hot sun here (and don't like it much!), so am rethinking my collection.  There is already a dwarf named Red Heart, FYI.  It can get larger, and has the center dark splotch on the leaf.  Frutetorum, I believe, is in it, but one thing that has puzzled me is that the pictures I see of Frutetorum have a charming zone, not the splotch.  Anybody know about this?

Sandy

By the way, Jean Hauserman of P&J Greenhouses also ships to the US.  I would get what you need soon since no cuttings except commercial are coming from overseas now due to new regulations.

maria guzman <mirror@3RIVERS.NET> wrote:
Brief report on my own Adventures in Hybridizing. I'm aiming at d.w.'s
(dark dwarfs) as those seem to be the most suited to my climate - small
size which fit on windowsills, very hot summer sun, extremely short winter
days, generally difficult conditions. My best effort so far has been an
offspring of Purple Heart by another (discarded) hybrid dwarf which is by
Urchin and a previous (discarded) hybrid dwarf which returns 2 generations
back to Dame Anna Neagle x Purple Heart again. (I'm sure you followed all
that!)

Anyhow, this Son of Purple Heart which I call RedHeart, is so far a 3"
dense miniature but leaves and flowers almost identical to P.H. except much
easier to grow, thicker leaves, and loves the sun, while its dad P.H. just
sits and sulks. Now I want to add more abundant flowers to the same (?)
plant. I have eight other dark dwarfs saved from that generation (not
identical parentage) including another stellar, which I'm crossing again.
I *must* order some new fresh blood from Marilyn Holt or somebody, but
having a limited genetic pool to work with (yes I do own a few more plants
including Black Velvet Rose - which only rarely produces a halfway
satisfactory hybrid for me but I keep hoping) is proving more interesting
than I ever thought it would.

Maria
Augusta, MT